The choice between SPEs and three-electrode systems depends on experiment or application. Both offer benefits. The “better” system will vary depending on the experiment’s design and requirements.
SPEs over conventional 3-electrode system:
- Convenient and user-friendly.
- Cost-effective because all the 3 electrodes are integrated on a single substrate. As a result, no requirement for individual counter, working, or reference electrodes.
- Cleaning is not mandatory in between experimental trials they are disposable and hence time-saving.
- Minimal area for the experimental setup.
- Better sensitivity and ease of modification.
- Point of care and on-site analysis.